Yakityak's "Yellow Chicken"
- 2 packages skinless boneless chicken
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon, minus the seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 tsp kosher salt +/- to taste
- 10 - 15 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 cup water
- Rinse and cut the skinless boneless chicken into generous 1" cubes
- In a large 4 - 6 qt. saute pan that has a lid, put the oils and seasonings and lemon juice and warm to medium heat.
- Place the chicken in the seasoned hot oil and lemon, stirring frequently until cubes are seared on each side.
- Once the chicken is seared, add the cup of water, stir well, and cover.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 45 minutes, checking periodically to make certain the sauce has not reduced too much. Add more water if the sauce seems skimpy.
- Serve immediately over rice or pasta with the sauce.
Back to the main Jewish Cuisine Forum archive page.