Yakityak's Kid-Certified Vegetarian Stew
- Organics brand 32 oz box of creamy broccoli soup
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup dried green lentils
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 4 - 5 stalks celery, chopped
- large handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup of baby carrots, chopped & sauteed
- 1 really huge onion, chopped & sauteed
- 10 oz package of sliced mushrooms
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp curry powder
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs beaten & mixed in cold
- 1 cup of non-fat plain yogurt - optional
- sprigs of fresh mint - optional
Carmelize the carrots and onions on medium heat in the extra virgin olive oil. Salt to taste.
Place all ingredients except the eggs into the crockpot. (You can use the hot water to get the last of the broccoli soup out of the box if you wish.)
Beat the eggs in a separate bowl or cup, and stir in to the liquid of the crockpot.
Cook on low heat for 5 hours.
Optional: serve with a dollop of yogurt in the center of the stew and garnish yogurt with a small sprig of mint.
Serves 6 - 8.
Back to the main Jewish Cuisine Forum archive page.