- 1 pound thick horseradish roots
- 1 large fresh beet
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar or to taste
- Peel the horseradish root, trimming a portion to be used as the symoblic bitter herbs on your sedar plate. (Save some for planting too.)
- Peel the beet. Grate both the beet and the horseradish coarsely by hand or in a food processor.
- Add the vinegar and sugar to the beet and the horseradish and blend well. Add more vinegar if too dry. Store in a tightly covered containter in the refrigerator and serve it with your gefilte fish. It will keep several weeks.
Back to the main Jewish Cuisine Forum archive page.