Yakityak's Greek Style Crockpot Lima Beans
Traditionally Greek cuisine uses fava beans not lima beans, but favas can be hard to come by in the United States. Lima beans are similar in size, but milder in flavor. This dish requires a little forethought in that you really do need to soak the beans for 18 - 24 hours, but other than this step (which is quick to set up) the preparation time is minimal.
- 2 3/4 cups dried lima beans, soaked in ample room temp water for 18 - 24 hours
- 1 1/4 lbs roma tomatoes, chopped + an additional 2 lbs tomatoes (either beefstake or roma) for later for a total of 3 1/4 lbs tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium to large celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced thin
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 packed tblsp brown sugar
- 3 whole pepper corns
- 1 tsp dried oregano (or 1 tblsp minced fresh)
- 1 clove garlic, sliced thin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- water as necessary
- OPTIONAL: 2 sausages, diced
Place all ingredients EXCEPT the salt and 2 lbs of the tomatoes in the crockpot. Stir well. Cover and cook on low for 7+ hours.
Just before serving add the rest of the tomatoes and the salt. Stir well. Serve.
Back to the main Jewish Cuisine Forum archive page.